Pay it forward with the gift of mentoring.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

You Need A Mentor

Guest Columnist:
by Rabison Shumba
Mentors are like midwives in that they bring the best out of you. Their passion is to deliver significant results. Their role is not to control, dominate and dictate stuff to you but to guide, direct, suggest without feeling hurt if suggestions they give are not implemented They help identify and sharpen potential. They are not insecure; they actually rejoice when one excels and surpasses their achievements. There should never be a generation that exists without mentors. Mentoring relationships pass on the ideals from one generation to the next. There can never be a next generation if the present generation is not deliberate about sowing time in building the future. Fathers should spend time coaching their children. It is nearly impossible to pass on information and ideals when one never spends time with their children listening to their ramblings and mumblings. You will sooner or later realize the jewel worth uncovering and nurturing. In each one are great deposits worth spending time and effort unearthing. Mentors have special roles and assignments even with no immediate tangible material and financial benefits. As an individual one really needs a mentor. One can have more than one mentor. A mentor for every facet of life e.g. Marriage, Business or Career mentor to name a few. Identify people you can trust, open up to without fear of being judged. True mentors are vital for nurturing dreams and visions. A mentor who fails to realize that his role is to bring about the best in others will sometimes feel threatened by the protege's progress and silently suppress him/her. There is nothing worse than a mentor who is competitive and insecure.
I have had a number of mentors in my life. In a way my progress in life has been a result of people who took me by the hand and directed me where I was supposed to put my next step. Some of the mentors I will mention here are as follows: Ministry Mentors - Bishop Trevor Manhanga discovered me. Entrusted me with responsibility. Gave me a chance to run and fall and learn. His words would be "I believe in you Rabison". Reverend Murray Cornelius (Canada) - took me to participate in two church plants as a core leader. We dreamt and persevered together. What a man of faith. I learned that the Gospel is simple and needs to be kept that way. Came Ola Vincent Odulele (United Kingdom), some say we are look "alikes". This man modelled for me how to do business in a Godly manner. How one can write book after book to leave a legacy. How one can travel the world and speak to presidents and influential people. He also put me on his shoulders for me to see beyond where I was. I began to think and act global. Great mentor. Dr Tawafadza Makoni, came into my life first as my tutor and lecturer in Pastoral studies. I read his book on mentorship and realized he had a passion to mentor the next generation. I remember trying to find space to speak to him directly and not through assignments. Breakthrough came after completion of studies when I expressed desire to write a book. I remember sending him my first attempt to write a book (I am embarrassed to say this mission was aborted). Dr Makoni guided me in this regard. He marked the transcript word for word and like a mature mentor he urged me on with guidelines. I salute this man.
Ponder Points - Think about this- How do you feel about being mentored and mentoring others? In what conditions do you think mentorship works best? What are your experiences with previous mentors? Think about and write down what you generally expect from a mentor.
Affirmation Points - Say this to yourself- I am a good mentor to others. I also have excellent mentors from whom I learn a lot. I enjoy being with those that are inspired and role models of my time.
Rabison Shumba is a writer, businessman and philanthropist. Writer of the book The Greatness Manual which you can preview on http://greatnessmanual.wordpress.com. Founder and CEO of Infotech Solutions and Greatness Factory Trust. Rabison speaks about success, leadership, motivation and inspiration. His trust works with disadvantaged school children supporting them with school fees and general livelihood. He also helps to network artists (musicians of all genres) to facilitate information sharing and building of future celebrities. Rabison is well traveled having been to Asia, America, United Kingdom and all over Africa. He is married to Jacqueline Edwards and they have two children. They reside in Harare, Zimbabwe, Southern Africa.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4209822

No comments:

Post a Comment